The Trustees of the Sailors’ Snug Harbor in the City of New York
SSH is an operating foundation dedicated to assisting retired mariners wherever they live, who need financial assistance and meet the eligibility criteria. More than 16,500 mariners have been assisted since its inception in the early nineteenth century.
If you are interested in learning more about SSH and its benefits, please contact us at:
The Trustees of the Sailors’ Snug Harbor
17 Battery Place, Suite 929
New York,NY 10004
Tel: 646-465-8585, Toll Free: 1-888-257-5456
Click here for our application
Eligible Mariners must meet the following criteria
- 2,555 days of sea time, (deep sea or inland) with at least 1,825 days on U.S. flagged ships (Some exceptions may be made)
- 65 years of age or older or on disability (Some exceptions may be made)
- Proven need for financial assistance
- Resident of the USA (or its territories)
- An individual with $65,000 or more in assets will not be eligible (primary residence excluded) (Some exceptions may be made)
- A three year look back period will be used
- Public benefits available to a mariner should be accessed, if eligible. For example, VA benefits, Medicaid, SNAP etc.